With FIFA World Cup 2018 just around the corner, fans can’t wait to cheer for their teams in the much-awaited event that is held every 4 years. And yes, the lives of many of the fans will revolve around the matches. But, why not? Football is the most popular game that is played around the globe and also the most watched sport on Earth! Legendary player Pele called football “the beautiful game.” This year the FIFA World Cup is going to be held in Russia from June 14 to July 15, 2018. Russia was awarded the hosting rights on December 2, 2010.
Here are 10 interesting facts that makes football one of the most popular and loved sports in the world:
- Football was ‘born’ in China around 476 BC.
- On an average a football player runs around 9.65 km during every game.
- English Sheffield Football Club was the world’s first football club.
- American astronaut Neil Armstrong wanted to take a football to the moon but was refused. NASA considered it un-American!
- It is only the Americans and Canadians who refer to a game of football as “soccer”.
- Pakistan manufactures around 80% of the world’s footballs.
- It was in 1937 that the first ever live coverage of a football match was shown on TV
- Sir Alex Ferguson, Manchester United manager was fired in 1978 for swearing at a lady.
- It has been seen that celebrating goals on the pitch are the cause of many soccer injuries.
- El Salvador waged war on Honduras in 1979 after it lost a football match against them! Can you believe that!
FIFA 2018 is the first World Cup that is going to be held in Europe since the 2006 tournament that was hosted by Germany. It is also the first ever tournament to be held in Eastern Europe. To make it easy for the fans to travel to the match venues, all of the stadium venues are in European Russia.